- Charming Shoppes to close 240 stores
- Charming Shoppes to sell off Fashion Bug, add 125 Lane Bryant stores
- Charming Shoppes selects Oracle Retail to drive cross-channel growth, improve inventory management
- Charming Shoppe’s Lane Bryant rolls out personalized search technology
- Ascena Retail to acquire Charming Shoppes for $890 million
Bensalem, Pa. Charming Shoppes Inc. said Wednesday it swung to a fiscal second-quarter loss as it faced a weak retail environment and hefty one-time costs.
Charming Shoppes said for the quarter ended Aug. 2 it lost $8.3 million compared with a profit of $18.3 million in the same quarter last year.
The company posted a loss from continuing operations of $3.7 million. Included in those results was an after-tax charge of $5.8 million related to the severance package for its former CEO Dorrit J. Bern, who stepped down last month after a bitter proxy fight.
Charming Shoppes also said it took a charge of $3.5 million during the quarter from consolidation and streamlining efforts.
Sales fell 6.6% to $648.6 million from $694.4 million.