Stillwater, Minn. Cub Foods has opened an eco-friendly store in St. Paul, Minn. The company, a division of Supervalu, is seeking LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification for the outlet.
The new store features 44 skylights that will illuminate 75% of regularly occupied spaces using a solar-powered GPS system that tracks and redirects sunlight as needed. Other sustainable elements include:
- Half of the waste from buildings torn down on the construction site has been reused in the construction of the new building or recycled;
- Thirty-five percent savings in lighting costs compared to typical Cub stores;
- Amaintenance-free floor that eliminates the need for chemicals during the cleaning process;
- Alandscape irrigation system that uses 50% less water than typical systems; and
- Seventy-five percent of the building construction waste will not end up in landfills. Instead, it will be recycled and turned into other useful materials.