Woonsocket, R.I. -- CVS/pharmacy’s distribution center in Chemung County, N.Y., has been awarded LEED Gold certification from the United States Building Council. It it the chain’s first LEED-certified distribution center.
The 751,000-sq.-ft. facility is the largest industrial building in the state of New York -- and one of-the-10 largest industrial buildings in the United States -- to receive to achieve LEED Gold, which is the second-highest level of LEED certification given by the USGBC. The CVS center was designed and built by Gray Construction.
Among the sustainable design elements featured in the facility are:
- Energy-efficient, white PVC insulated roof;
- Interior and exterior lighting with daylight sensors and timers;
- High-efficiency, low-flow plumbing fixtures;
- Rainwater harvest system for irrigation;
- Fluorescent fixtures and skylights; and
- Construction process using local materials, recycled materials and waste recycling.
The Chemung center, which opened in June, will support the inventory and fulfillment needs of approximately 350 CVS/pharmacy stores in the Northeast.