New York -- Francesca’s, Maurices and tween/teen fave Five Below are in an expansion mode.
Francesca’s, based in Houston, will open about 85 stores this year, down slightly from 91 openings last year.
Maurices, which recently opened its 900th store, is on track to open 60 stores by the end of its fiscal year in July 2014. In addition, the retailer, which is owned by Ascena Retail Group, is remodeling or expanding 80 stores. Over the past five years, Maurices has opened more than 250 locations. It has a long-term goal to surpass 1,200 U.S. stores and 100 locations in Canada, where it currently operates 25 stores.
Five Below, based in Philadelphia, plans to open 62 stores this year across such new markets as Houston and the state of Tennessee, as well as existing markets that allow for densification opportunities.
In other new store openings:
• Zumiez plans to open up to 55 new stores during fiscal 2014, including up to seven in Canada and five in Europe.
• Burlington Coat Factory plans to open 25 net new stores during fiscal 2014, including 22 in the fall, two in May and one in April.
• Conn’s Inc. is looking to open 15 to 20 new stores during fiscal 2015.
• Destination XL Group Inc. plans to open approximately 40 DXL stores this year. Some of the new DXL stores will be smaller-sized locations in smaller markets.
• Mall of America has launched a $325 million expansion project that will include a JW Marriott hotel, office tower, high-end retailers, and new dining options. An extension of the mall on all three levels on the north side, it is the most significant construction project at the property since opening in 1992.