- Supervalu Q4 profit beats Street, will remodel 55 to 75 units in 2011
- Save Mart Supermarkets to debut new store format
- Report: SuperValu to open 160 Save-A-Lot stores in 2011
- Los Angeles City Council votes to ban plastic bags at supermarket checkouts
- SuperValu returns to profit in Q2; on track to open 80 to 90 Save-A-Lot stores
Melrose Park, Ill. Jewel-Osco announced that it has surpassed the sale of 1 million green reusable shopping bags.
"We are seeing more and more people buying and using recyclable shopping bags," said Keith Nielsen, president of Jewel-Osco. "This is likely due to the heightened awareness about the environment and the impact of plastic bags in landfills."
Jewel-Osco began selling its green reusable shopping bags last August in all of its stores.
Since then, the company has introduced a line of insulated blue bags designed to keep cold and hot products temperature-controlled, as well as a few specialty printed reusable bags.