- Wal-Mart launches money transfer service between stores
- Walmart to install LEDs in ceilings, cutting lighting energy use by 40%
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Walmart U.S. e-commerce names new head as Joel Anderson leaves for Five Below
- Wal-Mart's tech lab buys Stylr mobile fashion app
Sandton, South Africa – Grant Pattison, CEO of Massmart Holdings Ltd., a South African retailer that operates as a subsidiary of Wal-Mart, is resigning. Pattison, 43, will be replaced by Massmart COO Guy Hayward, 48, on June 1, as part of what the company terms a smooth succession plan.
Pattison joined Massmart in 1998 and was appointed CEO in 2007. He was CEO when Massmart sold a majority stake to Wal-Mart Stores Inc. Hayward has served with Massmart since 2000, receiving appointments as CFO in 2001 and COO in 2012.
“I have led a remarkable team and I am immensely proud of what we have accomplished during my tenure,” said Pattison. “The group is in good shape and well positioned for growth and I can think of no better time to hand over the reins. My successor is someone with whom I have worked closely and who has the skill and energy to take Massmart forward. I would like to congratulate Guy on his appointment and wish him well in his new role.”