- Call for Entries: Chain Store Age’s Retail Store of the Year Design Competition
- Don't Toy Around: Discover Consumer Influence On Holiday Shopping
- Deadline Extended for Retail Store of the Year Design Competition
- Retail Store of the Year Design Competition early bird rate ends on Nov. 29
- Early Hanukkah, Late Thanksgiving to Impact Holiday Shopping
New York – Retailers across a variety of verticals reported improved same-store sales during October 2013, compared to the same month in the previous year. Even embattled department store retailer J.C. Penney saw its same-store sales grow for the first time since December 2011, and specialty and apparel retail conglomerate L Brands and discount club retailer PriceSmart reported particularly impressive same-store sales results.
Many analysts have predicted a softening in holiday-related spending this year. While October is too early to say for certain how holiday sales for 2013 will turn out, many retailers began holiday promotions in October and even September, giving some hope for the season.
Retailers reporting October same-store sales include:
- The Buckle: 2.6% increase
- Cato: 3% increase
- Costco: 3% increase
- Fred’s: 1.4% increase
- J.C. Penney: 0.9% increase
- L Brands: 8% increase
- PriceSmart: 8.8% increase
- Stein Mart: 5.8% increase