Boca Raton, Fla. Office Depot announced it has become an Energy Star Commercial Buildings Partner, a program established by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Through this partnership with the EPA, Office Depot will continue to work to improve energy efficiency in the company’s retail stores, and commits to track its energy consumption at each individual location using Energy Star tools to score performance.
“The Energy Star rating system will help Office Depot ensure that each of our retail store locations is running as energy efficient as possible,” said Edward Costa, VP construction, Office Depot. “While we have been tracking the electricity usage in our facilities for a number of years now, the Energy Star program will help validate our efficiencies at the individual store level by affirming those locations that are successfully lowering energy use and help us ensure that all stores are meeting our goals.”
In partnership with Energy Star, Office Depot has committed to:
- Measure and track the energy performance of its stores by using tools such as those offered through EnergyStar;
- Develop and implement a plan consistent with the Energy Star Management Guidelines to achieve energy savings;
- Help spread the word about the importance of energy efficiency to its associates and community;
- Support the Energy Star Challenge, a national call-to-action to help improve the energy efficiency of America’s commercial and industrial buildings by 10% or more; and
- Highlight its achievements with recognition offered through Energy Star.