- Welcome to the New Customer Disruption Newsletter
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Early Hanukkah, Late Thanksgiving to Impact Holiday Shopping
- Kroger debuts Retail Site Intelligence, new enterprise IT architecture
- How Technology Has Revolutionized Sales Tax Management
Fayetteville, Ark. - A report Monday said that Wal-Mart Stores is preparing to test a small-format store it is calling “Walmart on Campus” at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville.
According to the report by Advertising Age, the pilot appears to be part of a series of tests of Walmart’s smaller-format stores.
The 10,000-sq.-ft. space under development replaces a just-closed university-run pharmacy. Walmart on Campus is expected to open in January 2011 when classes resume at the university, though it will also be open for nonstudents.
Wal-Mart has publicized its plans to experiment with a variety of smaller stores designed to expand where its 200,000-sq.-ft. superstores can’t be accommodated.