Pleasanton, Calif. – Nine-in-10 (89%) Millennnials want gift cards for the holidays, while 73% prefer receiving a gift card from a favorite store as opposed to receiving a specific gift. A new survey of more than 400 Millennials ages 18-28 from global prepaid card network Blackhawk Network also shows that 90% use gift cards to treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally buy or use it in part to buy a more expensive item and 90% use gift cards to treat themselves to something they wouldn't normally buy or use it in part to buy a more expensive item.
Survey results also show that:
- 88% expect to give a gift card to someone this year.
- 63% buy gift cards as a last minute gift.
- 73% expect to spend between $10-$50 on a gift card for someone.
- And some will buy gift cards online, 43% said they will buy them online.
- Social determines their gift list: 46% are likely to use social media to determine who to send a gift card to.
- They want brands to gift them: 71% want a gift card from a brand they follow on Facebook.
- They want to give via social: 51% are interested in sending e-gift cards through social media.