UPS is trying to capitalize on this year’s shorter holiday shopping season, which is six days fewer than last year’s, by touting the shipping services its UPS Store offers.
The UPS Store has a network of 4,300 employees at locally owned and operated centers ready to pack and ship everything from fragile glass ornaments to surfboards and golf clubs. The store also offers customers a Pack and Ship Guarantee.
Consumers who prefer packing their own gifts themselves can obviously still ship them via the UPS Store, but are asked to do the following:
- Take batteries out of items before shipping.
- Use a sturdy new box to provide additional protection for items. Do not use old boxes or gift boxes to ship gifts or any string or wrapping paper on the outside of the package.
- Use at least two inches of packaging peanuts on each side of the item.
- Make sure the sender’s and recipient’s addresses are visible inside and outside of the package.
- Use packing tape on all package seams — do not use masking, cellophane or duct tape.
According to the National Retail Federation, online holiday shopping is expected to increase as much as 15% this year despite the shorter season.
The UPS Store also has in-center mailboxes for shoppers who prefer to have packages delivered to a secure UPS location where they can pick up at their convenience.