- Wal-Mart names new CEO; company vet Doug McMillon to succeed Mike Duke
- 2014 Retail Store of the Year: And the winners are …
- Toys ‘R’ Us moves interim CEO into role permanently; names new U.S. president
- Wal-Mart doubles small-store expansion amid weak sales and lowered outlook
- Wal-Mart International names new CEO
New York City, Wal-Mart Stores’ new ad campaign urges customers to “look beyond the basics” in an effort to spruce up its bargain-retailer image. The New York Times reported that comparisons have been made with a 1993 Sears, Roebuck & Co. campaign that marketed more fashionable clothing and home furnishings with the slogan “Come see the softer side of Sears.” Roy Spence, the president of the GSD&M agency behind Wal-Mart’s campaign, told the publication that his staff “had no clue that it was even close,” but that the two efforts are “scarily similar.” He also stated that the idea is a just classic advertising method. “This campaign is like 100 campaigns that go out every year,” said Spence. Sears did not comment.