Quincy, Mass. -- The Stop & Shop Supermarket Co. will open a new format focused on expanded selection, health and wellness, and convenience on Nov. 18, in Chelmsford, Mass. The 72,000 sq. ft. “next evolution” supermarket will include such amenities an in-store nutritionist, a supervised child play area, free Wi-Fi Internet access, curbside pick-up and innovative in-store shopping tools.
The new store, which will pursue LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification, is also extremely energy efficient. It is anticipated to use up to 20% less energy than a typical grocery store of it size and was built with a broad array of energy-efficient features, including:
- White roof that reflects the sun light and reduces the heat gains in the store, requiring less energy for space cooling;
- Skylights to harvest day light and dim energy-efficient fluorescent lights to reduce the electricity consumption during peak daylight hours by an average of 2.5%, or 67,000 kwh annually;
- LED lighting is used in many areas of the store, including overhead track lights, spotlights on specialty areas & displays, exterior store signs and in the frozen food cases;
- New DuctSox (fabric duct) ventilation system and low air return in frozen aisles; both help provide better air distribution across the store and make the store environment more comfortable for shoppers;
- ECM (electronically commutated motor) motors in the refrigerated fixtures and walk-in coolers that deliver uniform airflow while using 33% less electricity;
- Low-mercury, energy-efficient, fluorescent light fixtures throughout the store with occupancy sensors in the storage areas and offices;
- An energy management system to monitor the performance of the lighting, refrigeration, and HVAC systems;
- Low-flow fixtures in the bathrooms and prep areas to reduce water consumption by over 35%;
- Storm water from the roof is piped under the parking lot to help replenish the groundwater; and
- Green cleaning methods used with non-toxic materials for better indoor air quality.
The new Stop & Shop will offer an expanded assortment of products throughout each department, with 25 aisles of grocery items and an expansive produce department that has more than 1,200 items.
The store will be fully operational with Stop & Shop's latest technological innovations, including the Scan It! Mobile app, which allows customers to use their personal mobile device to shop, scan, and tally their groceries while they shop. It will have six self-checkout lanes, 60 Scan It! hand held devices that allow customers to scan and bag groceries while they shop and two deli kiosks where shoppers may pre-order deli items.