Westlake Village, Calif. -- Hhgregg ranks highest in appliance retailer customer satisfaction, followed by Lowe’s, according to the J.D. Power 2014 Appliance Retailer Satisfaction Study. The survey found that a knowledgeable sales staff providing a prompt, courteous and engaging customer service experience helps drive satisfaction with home appliance retailer.
Hhgregg had a score of 819 (on a 1,000-point scale) and performed particularly well in the sales staff, delivery and installation service factors. Lowe's (815) performed well in the store facility and price factors, and ties with Sears in the merchandise factor.
While price remains a leading driver for more than half of customers when selecting an appliance store, retailers can't rely on price alone to remain competitive," said Christina Cooley, director of the home improvement practice at J.D. Power. "The sales staff has an opportunity to differentiate the customer experience through engagement activities from the moment a customer walks in the door, all the way through appliance selection, delivery and installation. It's the simple engagement activities — those that don't require extensive training — that have a huge impact on customer satisfaction."
Key findings of the survey include:
• Providing a knowledgeable, courteous and readily available sales staff is key in driving a satisfying customer experience.
• More than nine-in-10 (91%) customers indicate that staff was available to assist them during their recent appliance shopping experience and 77& indicate they were greeted promptly. Among customers who engage with the appliance retail sales staff, 86% indicate the staff listened to their questions and concerns.
• In 2014, fewer customers indicate that multiple brands were discussed while shopping than in 2013 (58% versus 63%, respectively), but only 14% say the salesperson tried to steer them toward a specific brand.
• More than three-fourths (77%) of customers indicate the store carried all of the brands they were seeking, and 63% indicate the retailer had the desired appliance in stock at the store.
• More than one-half (52%) of customers rely on the appliance retailer to deliver and install their new appliances.