Delhaize America signs long-term agreement with Nielsen
New York — Nielsen, a provider of information and insights into what consumers watch and buy, has announced that Delhaize America has signed a long-term agreement selecting Nielsen as its primary information, insights and analytics partner.
Delhaize, the parent company of Food Lion, Hannaford, and Bottom Dollar Food, will use Nielsen tools, data and resources to help guide its strategic and tactical business needs.
Ahold USA recognized by EPA for food waste reduction efforts
HARRISBURG, Pa. — The Environmental Protection Agency has recognized Ahold USA for its efforts to reduce food waste, the agency said.
The EPA said it recognized Ahold for its contributions to the Food Recovery Challenge, which encourages organizations to donate and divert as much of their excess food as possible, which the agency said helps protect the environment and feed needy people. Ahold USA owns the Giant Food Stores of Carlisle, Pa., Giant Food of Landover, Md., and Stop & Shop supermarket banners, as well as the online grocer Peapod.
"The Food Recovery Challenge benefits families in need, helps grocers reduce costs, supplies badly needed donations to organizations like the Central Pennsylvania Food Bank and helps to create green jobs," EPA regional administrator Shawn Garvin said. "Today is America Recycles Day, and with Thanksgiving just a week away, this is an excellent time to raise awareness of this important issue."
According to the EPA, food constitutes the largest category of waste in the country, with 36 million of food waste going to landfills in 2011. Decomposing food waste is a significant source of methane, a greenhouse gas. Last year, the agency said, Ahold USA donated the equivalent of more than 12 million meals and diverted 19,000 tons into composting, reducing greenhouse gas emissions by about 3,820 tons.
"Ahold USA and our retail divisions like Giant are committed to reducing waste and minimizing our impact on the environment, while at the same time maximizing food donations to regional food banks," Ahold USA VP external communications and community relations Tracy Pawelski said. "The EPA Food Recovery Challenge not only makes good business sense by lowering costs, but also can be a game changer for local hunger relief efforts, especially during these times of need."
NPD: holiday gift predictions for home
NPD Group has released its 2013 holiday gift predictions for the home.
“Some items on this year’s home holiday shopping lists deliver warmth, and others make it cold; some items are functional, and some are about the fun factor,” said Debra Mednick, executive director and home industry analyst. “Either way, the hottest home categories for the 2013 holiday season are designed to conveniently deliver comfort, improve health, or bestow simple affordable pleasures.”
The research company pointed to the following leading items:
- Coffeemakers: All forms, from traditional drip coffee and espresso makers, to single-serve pod machines, are helping to perk up consumers this holiday season.
- Food processing and blenders: This year, there is a focus on multifunctional blender/mixer/chopper systems and powerful countertop blenders.
- Juice extractors: The current juicing trend and related health benefits will continue to fuel these sales.
- Soda makers: This is the latest addition to today’s home, bringing customization, family fun and even environmentally friendly benefits — now with more product options for consumers to choose from than ever before.
- Slow cookers: The convenience, versatility and comfort food delivered by these products continues to be popular with consumers.
- Popcorn makers: It’s a healthy snack, fun for the family and a perfect fit with increased leisure time at home.
- Frozen treat makers: These products delight the whole family with ice cream and frozen yogurt made their way.
- Cast iron cookware: With and without enamel coating, this is a classic staple for indoor and outdoor kitchens, appealing to men and women through the benefit of healthy cooking and the convenience of easy cleanup.
- Wine glass sets: From the basics to finer options, the selections for connoisseurs and casual wine drinkers are more specialized than ever.
- Throws: The holiday season is the perfect time to snuggle up and add a little warmth, while keeping heating costs down.