Deloitte holiday survey: Holiday shoppers’ spirits bright

New York — Shoppers are in a good mood heading into the holiday season, with the number of consumers planning to spend less on the holidays (37%) at the lowest level since 2006, according to Deloitte’s 27th annual survey of holiday spending intentions and trends. One-half (50%) of consumers surveyed expect the economy will improve next year, up from just one-third (33%) heading into the holiday season last year.

"Consumers appear to be turning a corner and are more confident about the economy," said Alison Paul, vice chairman, Deloitte LLP, and retail & distribution sector leader. "Recent improvements in housing, employment and the stock market may have buoyed their spirits, but their optimism is somewhat tempered as they keep an eye on energy costs and possible tax increases.”

Survey respondents’ gift spending remains similar to last year at $386, down just slightly from $395 in 2011. Omnichannel shoppers may bring retailers the most holiday cheer: The average gift spend among consumers surveyed who plan to hit the Internet, their smartphones and stores this holiday season is $600 – a healthy 71% higher than those who plan to shop only in stores.

The shopping season, however, is not without its potential challenges for retailers. One-quarter (24%)) of survey respondents will delay their shopping until the election has been decided. But the outcome is unlikely to soften holiday budgets. One-half (50%) of consumers indicate the election will not change their spending plans and 23%s remain undecided whether the election will affect how much they spend.

Gift cards/certificates top the list of items surveyed consumers wish to receive are gift cards/certificates (45%), followed by (43%). When purchasing gifts, 51% of shoppers indicate they plan to buy clothing, and 47% plan to buy gift cards/certificates, followed by electronics (35%) and books (34%).

When shopping for the holidays, 51% plan to head to discount stores, followed by the Internet (45% ), making these the top two shopping destinations again this year.

The hunt for bargains remains a holiday tradition, according to the study, with 44% of shoppers indicating that because they expect merchandise will eventually go "on sale," they will only buy sale items. Some 38% also expect store associates to match prices.

"Consumers have come to expect value at a good price, and the stakes are high for retailers to keep promotions fresh throughout the season," Paul said,

S.Edward says:
Jan-23-2013 10:24 am

I have no words to express
I have no words to express how useful your site was to me in completing my job work. Android App Development

S.Edward says:
Jan-23-2013 10:24 am

tareelolo says:
Dec-28-2012 10:38 am

They would all give you a
They would all give you a complete JumpBox running somewhere on the internet that acts just like the one you run on your personal machine. hardware keylogger

tareelolo says:
Dec-28-2012 10:38 am

Barnes & Noble reports breach of customer credit data at stores

New York — Barnes & Noble said it has detected tampering with PIN pad devices that are used in 63 of its stores. Upon detecting evidence of tampering, which was limited to one compromised PIN pad in each of the affected stores, chain discontinued use of all PIN pads in its nearly 700 stores nationwide by the close of business on Sept.14.

In addition, the company notified federal law enforcement authorities, and has been supporting a federal government investigation into the matter.

Stores in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island were affected, Barnes & Noble said.

According to the retailer, the tampering was a sophisticated criminal effort to steal credit card information, debit card information, and debit card PIN numbers from customers who swiped their cards through PIN pads when they made purchases. It involved only purchases in which a customer swiped a credit or debit card in a store using one of the compromised PIN pads. The criminals planted bugs in the tampered PIN pad devices, allowing for the capture of credit card and PIN numbers.

The company advised those who have swiped their cards at stores in the affected states to change their debit-card PIN numbers as a precaution, and to review their statements for unauthorized transactions. However, the company emphasized that its customer database is secure.

J.Johnss says:
Jan-27-2013 12:44 am

Your post is very exciting
Your post is very exciting and informative. I am planning to decide on a career move and this has helped me with one aspect. Thanks man! foreclosure attorneys

J.Johnss says:
Jan-27-2013 12:44 am

Signet Jewlers Ltd. to acquire Ultra Stores

New York — Signet Jewelers Ltd. announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire Ultra Stores, Inc. from Crystal Financial LLC. and its other stockholders for approximately $57 million in cash. Ultra operates stores primarily in outlet centers, as well as licensed jewelry departments.

Signet will not assume any debt in connection with the acquisition.

"The addition of Ultra will immediately result in our having a significant share of the outlet channel for jewelry," said Michael W. Barnes, CEO of Signet Jewelers. "We had identified this rapidly growing channel as an opportunity to profitably increase our sales, enabling us to leverage our competitive strengths and add Ultra’s expertise to our team.”

Signet Jewelers’ U.S. division operates over 1,300 stores in all 50 states primarily under the name brands of Kay Jewelers and Jared The Galleria of Jewelry. Signet’s UK division operates approximately 500 stores primarily under the name brands of H. Samuel and Ernest Jones.

T.Raymond says:
May-04-2013 03:17 pm

There are a lot of blogs and
There are a lot of blogs and articles out there on this topic, but you have acquired another side of the subject. This is reliable content thank you for sharing it. research paper editing || can you do my assignment || free dissertations

ahappydeal
buy cell phones online discount prices on ahappydeal.com. Everyday free ... Read product reviews on Unlocked GSM Cell Phones, & CDMA Cell Phones & more

C.Carrie says:
Mar-22-2013 02:23 am

Mar-09-2013 10:50 am

Thanks for taking the time to
Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. RushFIt

Mar-09-2013 10:50 am

S.Sdasdsa says:
Mar-06-2013 03:03 pm

I recently came across your
I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog, I will keep visiting this blog very often. http://easyvideosuitereviewbonus.com

S.Sdasdsa says:
Mar-06-2013 03:03 pm

Feb-28-2013 11:23 am

I found that site very
I found that site very usefull and this survey is very cirious, I ' ve never seen a blog that demand a survey for this actions, very curious... sensual massage singapore

Feb-28-2013 11:23 am

Feb-27-2013 08:07 am

Thanks for sharing the post..
Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family. craft supplies

Feb-27-2013 08:07 am

J.Johnss says:
Jan-22-2013 10:10 am

Part of a class I am taking
Part of a class I am taking involves this particular subject and I am researching for information to use in an upcoming report. Your post is really helpful; do you have any others on this topic? foreclosure attorneys

J.Johnss says:
Jan-22-2013 10:10 am

J.Johnss says:
Jan-17-2013 05:37 am

I am interested in this topic
I am interested in this topic and would like to find out some more information as my friend need information on this topic. Do you have any other articles about this? 1stopprojectmanagement.com

J.Johnss says:
Jan-17-2013 05:37 am

T.Stone says:
Jan-04-2013 08:51 am

I am searching for a good
I am searching for a good concepts on recession and I think this is the best blog for me to expand ithttp://www.superiorhomesolutions.net/painting.html

T.Stone says:
Jan-04-2013 08:51 am

J.Hams says:
Dec-25-2012 08:21 am

craftmatic
I have a memory foam mattress and love it. I don't think its very hot, but then again my house is really cold even in the hot summers. The first night I didn't really like it but now I really, really love it. I have had it for about a year. One thing you might not know is that when they are advertised, it may say something like temperature controlled. Ect. That just means that the spot you have been laying in gets really soft and comfy. The rest of the mattress will feet a lot harder and harder to the touch. Hope that helped and made sense!!! craftmatic

J.Hams says:
Dec-25-2012 08:21 am

Dec-22-2012 05:33 pm

Sometimes it is very hard to
Sometimes it is very hard to find good content on this topic. But your blog is my way to desired information, my problem is solved now. Thanks for posting something worth reading. Telemarketing

Dec-22-2012 05:33 pm