Dollar General divisional president to retire
Goodlettsville, Tenn. — Dollar General Corp. announced Monday that Kathleen Guion, division president of store operations and store development, will retire from the company effective July 31, 2012.
According to Dollar General, during her tenure Guion oversaw more than 9,500 stores in 35 states and revamped the company’s real estate strategy. Before assuming her current role in November 2005, Guion served as executive VP store operations. Prior to joining Dollar General in 2003, she served as president and CEO of Duke and Long Distributing Co.
Guion will continue in her current role through December 31, 2011 as the company conducts a search for her replacement and transitions her store operations duties.
From January 1, 2012 to her retirement, she will be responsible for transitioning her real estate growth and development responsibilities and for assisting the company in its strategic planning.
Dollar General inks deal for secured managed cloud services
St. Louis — Interface announced Monday that Dollar General Corp. has signed a multi-year contract for secured managed cloud services provided by Interface.
Interface’s secure managed cloud services for Dollar General includes wide-area network management, PCI compliance, wireless access Management, IP alarm system monitoring, IP video surveillance, and interface digital voice.
Under the agreement, Dollar General will use Interface managed cloud services for its entire retail store network, which includes more than 9,500 store locations.
GGP rolls out back-to-school programs in shopping centers
Chicago-based General Growth Properties is kicking off back-to-school shopping with two promotional programs – Shop til You Rock and Family Recess.
Shop Til You Rock, a music-inspired mall tour that empowers teens to look and feel like rock stars, is back for its second year. Teens are invited to watch live performances by some of today’s hottest bands, participate in exclusive activities and take advantage of special mall offers, prizes and sweepstakes, including a chance to win valuable shopping sprees and a gaming system.
Shop Til You Rock will travel to 38 GGP malls across the country from July 23 through Sept.10.
Family Recess kicks off back-to-school fun with family-friendly activities, including games, music, special deals, prizes and a chance to win a family vacation for four to the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Orlando, Fla. Family Recess travels to 21 GGP malls across the country from Aug. 6 through Sept.10.
The Shop Til You Rock and Family Recess programs also reward shoppers with a $20 mall gift card, while supplies last, when they spend $150 or more during the event. Plus, interactive mall activities include:
- Center Stage: Center stage features an event emcee/DJ, freeze modeling, as well as games, trivia and a prize wheel.
- Gaming Station: Teens can experience and play “Just Dance 2.” The interactive station includes discount offers, fan challenges and prizes.
- “DIY” Station: Kids can customize apparel and hats with a variety of airbrush designs.
- Band Meet & Greets (exclusively at Shop Til You Rock): Fans get up close and personal with featured bands and have an opportunity to purchase their music and promotional merchandise.
- Pepsi Refresh Lounge (exclusively at Shop Til You Rock): Teens trade in Pepsi bottle caps to receive a Pepsi branded drawstring bag. Plus, they’ll have a chance to vote for their favorite Pepsi Refresh Project and make a difference.
- Sierra Mist Natural Putting Challenge (exclusively at Family Recess): Shoppers get to put forth their best putting shot and “hole in one” winners will receive prizes.