Duane Reade launches holiday photo contest on Facebook
New York — Duane Reade, a division of Walgreens, on Friday at midnight launched a holiday photo contest on Facebook. The “Show Us Your Party Legs” promotion is a three week, omni-channel social media marketing campaign to raise awareness of Duane Reade-brand hosiery products. It will run through Jan. 4.
Aspects of the integrated, multi-platform contest will allow customers to incorporate holiday legwear shopping while connecting with the brand on strategic, digital, social media and in-store platforms. Customers also will get a chance to win one of three grand prize packages — a $500 Broadway.com gift card; a $500 Mr. Chows gift card; a $250 Duane Reade gift card and a limousine ride.
The ‘Show Us Your Party Legs’ Facebook photo contest is such an exciting way for our customers to incorporate holiday season shopping and their ultimate holiday party experience,” said Calvin Peters, Duane Reade’s online PR manager. “We’re thrilled to be working with Doris International and their versatile products in a way [that] lets consumers connect with Duane Reade on strategic digital, social media and in-store platforms.”
The company’s store-brand hosiery is produced by Doris International, which manufactures the same products for Victoria’s Secret and Michael Kors.
The drugstore chain’s previous social amplification campaign for Halloween 2013 dubbed “Boo-ti-ful Legs #DRLegCandy” was a prime example of tangible social return on investment. The campaign was executed from Oct. 13 to Nov. 3.
The #DRLegCandy campaign generated 5,246 pieces of content, including mentions on blogs, Facebook, Twitter and news sites. That campaign also generated 157.4 million impressions.
E-commerce growth keeps UPS busy this holiday season
UPS expects to pick up more than 34 million packages Monday, Dec. 16, and expects to deliver 29 million packages globally Tuesday, Dec. 17, driven by e-commerce growth. The surge in volume during peak week — the final full week before Christmas, Dec. 16–20 — is a record for a single day at the package delivery company.
“The entire team at UPS has planned all year to handle the annual increased shipping volume during the holidays,” said Alan Gershenhorn, chief sales, marketing and strategy officer. “As consumers change the way they shop for holiday gifts and shipping needs shift, customers rely even more on UPS for trusted and convenient solutions around the globe.”
Nearly 100,000 package cars, vans, tractors, motorcycles and alternative fuel vehicles will be deployed to meet customer needs. Meanwhile, more than 2,388 UPS cargo flights will take off daily around the world during UPS’s seasonal peak week — 465 more flights than a typical day in November. The company expects to deliver 300 packages per second Dec. 17.
Customers who want packages to arrive to their destinations by Tuesday, Dec. 24 can use the following options:
- UPS 3 Day Select, ship by Thursday, Dec. 19 for delivery Tuesday, Dec. 24
- UPS 2nd Day Air, ship by Friday, Dec. 20 for delivery Tuesday, Dec. 24 (or you can ship on Saturday at a retail location such as the UPS Store)
- UPS Next Day Air, ship by Monday, Dec. 23 for delivery Tuesday, Dec. 24
Mobile commerce drives Rakuten LinkShare’s Cyber Week results
Rakuten LinkShare announced double-digit year-over-year growth during Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, driven primarily by transactions conducted on mobile devices.
- Same-store sales increased 48% year-over-year.
- Overall mobile sales increased 85% year-over-year.
- Smartphones represented 6.8% of sales, which is 162% year-over-year growth.
- Transactions conducted on tablets were 12.8% of sales, representing a 60% year-over-year growth.
- Same-store sales increased 44% year-over-year.
- Overall mobile sales increased 64% year-over-year.
- Smartphones represented 5.3% of sales, a year-over-year increase of 121%.
- Tablet transactions represented 11.9% of sales, a 47% year-over-year increase.
- Same-store sales were up 41% year-over-year.
- Overall mobile sales increased 60% year-over-year.
- Smartphones represented 4.2% of sales, a year-over-year increase of 110%.
- Tablet transactions were 9.4% of sales, a year-over-year increase of 46%.
The top grossing categories throughout each of the days included computers and electronics, apparel and video games.
“Over the past few years, online retailers have experienced record-breaking kickoffs to the holiday shopping season,” said Yaz Iida, CEO, Rakuten LinkShare. “As they look for even greater gains, we’re committed to providing the most advanced technology and services that will ensure their success during the busy holiday season and throughout the year.”
Rakuten LinkShare Corporation provides online retailers and other businesses with online marketing services and solutions. Its clients include J.C. Penney, 1-800-Flowers.com, American Express, Avon Products and the Body Shop. The company was founded in 1996 and is headquartered in New York City, with offices in San Francisco, Chicago, Tampa, London, Tokyo, São Paulo and Sydney.