Ellen DeGeneres addresses J.C. Penney controversy

New York City — The popular television talk show host and comedian Ellen DeGeneres said she was “proud and happy” that J.C. Penney remained committed to her after One Million Moms asked the retailer to dump her as a spokesperson because she is gay.

The group, a division of the conservative American Family Association, warned they would boycott J.C. Penney stores if the chain did not go along with their request.

DeGeneres addressed the issue on Tuesday at the taping of her television show. The show will air on Wednesday.

“They wanted to get me fired and I am proud and happy to say that J.C. Penney stuck by their decision to make me their spokesperson,” DeGeneres said.

The comedian said that “normally I try not to pay attention to my haters, but this time I’d like to talk about it because my haters are my motivators.”

The conservative group accused J.C. Penney of trying to appeal to a new target market by getting on board the “pro-gay bandwagon” with the hiring of DeGeneres.

"Being gay or pro-gay isn’t a bandwagon,” DeGeneres said at the taping of her show. “You don’t get a free ride anywhere. There’s no music. And occasionally we’ll sing ‘We Are Family’ but that’s about it.”

She also poked fun at the group, saying that the One Million Moms group “only has 40,000 members on their [Facebook] page. So they’re rounding up to the nearest million and I get that.”

DeGeneres has an estimated 9 million followers on Twitter.

J.carter111 says:
Apr-15-2013 02:18 pm

Thanks for the post and great
Thanks for the post and great tips..even I also think that hard work is the most important aspect of getting success.. cyprus website design

J.carter111 says:
Apr-15-2013 02:18 pm

Apr-06-2013 11:15 am

Thanks you very much for
Thanks you very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out.. http://www.grezed.com

Troy55 says:
Apr-04-2013 11:51 am

The post is written in very a
The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. zuma game

D.Sullivan says:
Apr-01-2013 03:06 pm

hier klicken Your knowledge
hier klicken Your knowledge of this subject comes through clearly in this article. I love to read this kind of articles, I hope you will update it. Thank you for sharing it with me. kliknij tutaj

D.Sullivan says:
Apr-01-2013 03:06 pm

Troy55 says:
Mar-30-2013 11:58 am

This is very educational
This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! interiordesignersingapore.net

Troy55 says:
Mar-07-2013 03:30 pm

I have read your article, it
I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. serrurier roubaix

Mar-06-2013 01:56 pm

Thanks for sharing the info,
Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource... accident claims solicitors

Mar-06-2013 01:56 pm

Feb-21-2013 02:10 pm

I havent any word to
I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. manually backlinks service

Feb-21-2013 02:10 pm

Nov-07-2012 02:50 am

Your knowledge of this
Your knowledge of this subject comes through clearly in this article. I love to read this kind of articles, I hope you will update it. Thank you for sharing it with me. click here

Nov-07-2012 02:50 am

Nov-05-2012 02:41 pm

This topic is something that
This topic is something that I have been looking into for a while now and your insight is exceptional. Thanks for sharing this information. Cleaners Hove

Nov-05-2012 02:41 pm

Oct-06-2012 05:12 am

Your article has helped me to
Your article has helped me to understand this subject on a different level. I would like to appreciate your efforts for exploring this issue. Thank you for your information. www.riflelogbook.com

Oct-06-2012 05:12 am

bracolestor says:
Sep-26-2012 08:09 am

There are so many different
There are so many different prospects when it comes to this subject. Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this particular aspect and making it easier for us. fast results with home workout routines

bracolestor says:
Sep-26-2012 08:09 am

Getting serious about social

Because social media began as the purview of college kids and hipsters, it’s taken some time to register in the business community as a serious path to connection with customers. At the same time, the tools themselves have grown up and are now bringing real value to consumers and to the brands they love. We’re at an exciting moment of inflection, and one that smart companies are seizing with gusto.

But at this point, most companies have built fan pages on Facebook, opened an account on Twitter, asked someone in their organization to manage it and that’s about it. It’s a good start, but there is so much more you could be doing. The designer Marc Jacobs is on the forward edge in social, using Pinterest — a digital cork board for easy sharing of images and ideas — to provide a sneak preview of his designs to his followers, and to get feedback from and have interactions with fans.

Now I can hear you saying, that’s all fine and well for a NYC designer, but I’m in the CPG world, what can we do at our size and scale? A recent program we did at Collective Bias with Glidden Paint using our influencer community featured a DIY project to makeover a room in the house. Bloggers engaged with their followers about their project, documenting their stories, asking them to vote on the new color choices and more. The resulting content was rich and substantial, driving awareness and sales for the brand.

In the coming year, we will see more brands and retailers leverage exciting new technology to connect their social efforts at the shelf. The technology appetite of consumers is becoming more voracious every day. Smart marketers will reach out to engage their customers all along their journey. One look at the news from the Consumer Electronics Show out in Las Vegas, or the rapid adoption of smartphones — about half of Americans today use them, up from just 18% two years ago — tells you the tidal wave of mobile and social commerce is already here.

QR codes, for example, are great engagement tools, but only when used creatively. Consumers don’t need another link to your corporate website, they want something that adds value to their shopping experience. If they are going to take the time to scan a QR code while in the store, which usually involves managing crying kids, then make it worthwhile for them. Point customers to a digital coupon, unique product information or offer, a mobile app or Twitter feed of someone in your company who is a “voice” in social. There are a slew of e-commerce mobile apps available to consumers to enhance their shopping experience. Brands and retailers that use this technology to offer valuable benefits to shoppers will win.

“I love the apps that let you integrate your gift cards, loyalty cards and store coupons,” said Elizabeth Peterson of Traded My BMW for a Minivan. “I love not having to carry cards with me or use my phone number. I think I probably go to Starbucks more now that I can just use my phone to pay and I get rewarded for it.”

The Altimeter group recently reported that the number of brands and retailers implementing social media into their marketing plans increased in 2011 and will continue to grow this year. Consumers already are talking about your products in this space. Why not join their conversation? Consumers love it when they receive direct engagement from brands — it only increases brand loyalty.

For many companies, the mere potential for negativity is so scary they simply choose not to play. Anyone watching the recent American Airlines drama unfold with Alec Baldwin over Twitter — or other recent public meltdowns amplified through social channels — might conclude that social media is dangerous for business. But companies that stand on the social media sidelines will face increasing challenges from their competitors who are building relationships with their customers, managing social media effectively and taking some risks.

Anytime you ask someone for an opinion, you open yourself up to both positive and negative comments. Social media doesn’t facilitate negative comments over positive ones. It transparently amplifies your company’s most prominent traits. If you have quality products backed by responsive customer service, that will shine through. As with any conversation, how much you interact and how you choose to respond will determine your success.

Kate Berg is President of Collective Bias, a social shopper marketing company that builds relationships between brands and retailers by leveraging social channels.

Show “retail means jobs,” win cash

WASHINGTON — The National Retail Federation is calling on all retail employees or business owners to show the United States that "retail means jobs." The group has launched its "This is Retail" video contest to help promote the role retail plays in the U.S. economy.

Retail employees or business owners can submit a two-minute video sharing their retail story; winners of the contest will be awarded $50,000.

"We’re on a hunt to find the best retail stories in America — from marketing geniuses to customer service superstars to small business owners, who are the fabric of every local community,” NRF president and CEO Matthew Shay said. “NRF’s ‘This is Retail’ contest will put a face on an industry that is seamlessly woven into the fabric of America and influences every aspect of our life and culture — from commerce and fashion to real estate and public policy.”

For additional contest details and submission guidelines, visit RetailMeansJobs.com/contest.