Farmers market, salon to Deerfield, Ill., center
Deerfield, Ill. — Fresh Thyme Farmers Market and Studio A Salon have taken space at Cadwell’s Corners in Deerfield, Ill., a northern suburb of Chicago. Mid-America Asset Management Inc. represented the shopping center in the transaction.
Fresh Thyme signed a 30,784-sq.-ft. lease and plans to open as an anchor tenant in the summer of 2014. This will be Fresh Thyme’s second Chicago location. The first location is expected to open in Mt. Prospect early in 2014. ARCORE Real Estate Group represented the market in the transaction.
Studio A Salon inked a 1,729-sq.-ft. lease and plans to open early in 2014. This will be the second location for the full-service salon, which currently operates a location in downtown Glenview. Studio A Salon represented itself in the transaction.
Fresh Thyme and Studio A Salon will join Calico Corners, Chicago Home Fitness and others at the 79,774-sq.-ft. Cadwell’s Corners.
Old Navy signs into Orange Plaza in Middletown, N.Y.
Purchase, N.Y. — Old Navy has taken a 13,500-sq.-ft. space in Orange Plaza, an 815,000-sq.-ft. power center in Middletown, N.Y., according to National Realty & Development Corp.
A Wal-Mart Supercenter, Kohl’s Department Store, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshalls, Bed Bath & Beyond and The Home Depot anchor the center. Orange Plaza draws shoppers from a 25-mile circle including the Hudson Valley and areas in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
E-commerce retailer Sugarfina makes unconventional move
Online high-end candy retailer Sugarfina has opened its first-ever store, a 1,400-sq.-ft. boutique in Los Angeles. The brand is known for its signature turquoise Bento Boxes, a luxurious candy gift box, and such “cocktail” candies as Champagne Gummy Bears, Cuba Libre (spiced rum and coke gummies) and Peach Bellini Gummies.
“We created Sugarfina because the candy store of our dreams didn’t exist,” said founders Rosie O’Neill, former director of marketing for Barbie, and Josh Resnick, former video game entrepreneur. “We dreamed of gourmet sweets made with premium ingredients — candy that’s as beautiful to look at as it is to taste.”
Sugarfina is designed as a “candy heaven” for adults. A large glass skylight greets customers upon entry and airy “bubble” chandeliers appear to hang like clouds in the sky. Hundreds of colorful candies line the walls on thin floating shelves, so that the candy appears to be floating. The space includes a candy tasting bar with a selection of 60 candies on regular rotation. (According to the company, 40% of Sugarfina candies are not available anywhere else in the United States.)
Other notable features include:
- Candy Concierge: A concierge room that provides a showroom for Sugarfina custom, corporate and private event services.
- Top Shelf: One area of the store is dedicated to "top shelf" candies — exotic offerings from around the world at a slightly higher price point. Each candy has its story featured alongside it in a display.
- “Taste of Beverly Hills”: An entire section is dedicated to Beverly Hills products, including a “Taste of Beverly Hills” Bento Box with candies like Chocolate Mint Caviar, Bling Rings, Champagne Bears, etc.
- Build Your Own Bento Wall: Customers can pick up an empty eight-piece Bento Box or a three-piece Bento Box and build their own gift box from the wall of candy cubes.
- In-Store Sampling: Candy consultants walk around the store sampling candy from a special Bento Box tasting platter.