Jewel-Osco opens second green store in Chicago
Itasca, Ill. Jewel-Osco, a division of Supervalu, expands its commitment to green building design with the opening of its store at Marshfield Commons, a new center in Chicago, on Thursday. The supermarket is designed according to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards. It has received GreenChill Gold Certification from the EPA in honor of its environmentally friendly refrigeration system.
“Wherever possible, we’re focused on building environmentally friendly technology into our new and remodeled stores,” said Jewel-Osco president Keith Nielsen.
The store contains a number of sustainable elements, including:
- Agreen roof with vegetation beds for energy conservation and storm-water run-off reduction;
- Water-saving fixtures and faucets;
- Energy-efficient lighting, heating and air conditioning;
- Aventilation system that incorporates natural and mechanical means to enhance air quality inside of the store;
- The use of regional and recycled materials during construction, with more than 90% of construction debris separated for recycling; and
- Preferred parking for low-emission, fuel-efficient vehicles.
The Marshfield location is Jewel-Osco’s second store build to LEED standards. Its first, in Chicago’s Fulton River District, opened in September 2008.
Jack in the Box, Denny’s join Jess Ranch Marketplace
Apple Valley, Calif. Jack in the Box has leased 2,600 sq. ft. and Denny’s has leased 4,000 sq. ft. at Jess Ranch Marketplace near downtown Apple Valley, Calif.
According to the center’s owner, Weingarten Realty, Jack in the Box will open this August, followed by Denny’s in October.
The new 307,994-sq.-ft. shopping center is home to Winco, PetSmart, Rite Aid, 24 Hour Fitness, Best Buy and Bed Bath & Beyond.
Staples to open in Festival at Jefferson Court
Louisville Weingarten announced on Monday that Staples has leased 19,200 sq. ft. in Festival at Jefferson Court in Louisville.
The new Staples location is scheduled to open March 2010.
Anchored by a Kroger grocery store, Festival at Jefferson Court is home to Blockbuster Video, Great Clips, Papa John’s Pizza, Deb Shops, Dot’s and Spaghetti Shop, among others.