News

Redeveloping Waikiki retail

BY Michael Fickes

The few blocks surrounding the Honolulu intersection of Kalakaua and Ka’iulani Avenues boasts the highest pedestrian traffic in the world-renowned Waikiki retail district. The count exceeds 22,000 visitors per day. And it is rising as recovering international economies enable tourists from around the world — and especially from the Asia-Pacific countries of Japan, China and South Korea — to respond to the beckoning call of Hawaii’s Big Island of Oahu.

For the first nine months of 2013, visitors to Hawaii spend $11 billion, an increase of 4.1% from the same period in 2012. The total number of visitors rose 4.5% to 6,256,793 visitors.

To keep evermore tourists coming, the owners of the retail and hospitality real estate on and around Kalakaua and Ka’iulani Avenues have undertaken a billion dollar redevelopment effort.

Kyo-ya Hotels & Resorts, owner of five hotel and resort properties in Hawaii, is planning a $450 million redevelopment of its Sheraton Princess Ka’iulani Hotel, which is located at that intersection.

“Just across Ka’iulani Avenue, Blackstone just bought the Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach and plans to embark on a major renovation,” said Kazuko Morgan, vice chairman of retail services with Cushman & Wakefield of California. “On the other side of the Sheraton Princess, The Taubman Company is renovating its International Market Place. Across the street the International Market Place, Kyo-ya is renovating another of its hotels.

“This is a game changer for the area. These renovations and redevelopments are raising the bar to a level that will attract luxury tenants — it has been a middle-market retail district.”

The $450 million redevelopment of the Princess Ka’iulani is the latest in Kyo-ya’s billion-dollar investment in Waikiki, an effort that began in 2007 with the renovation and rebranding of the historic Moana Surfrider as a Westin Resort & Spa. The repositioning of The Royal Hawaiian as a Luxury Collection Resort followed, along with the renovation of the Sheraton Waikiki.

“The Princess Ka’iulani consists of two towers,” said Morgan. “One will undergo a complete renovation. Plans call for the demolition of the second tower and the construction of a new 34-story, five-star hotel and residential tower.”

Both towers will sit atop a one-story structure with approximately 31,000-sq.-ft. of upscale street-level retail fronting on Kalakaua Avenue. Within walking distance of 22 hotels and 28,772 hotel rooms, the retail development will be called The Shops on Kalakaua.

Positioned to capture the 4.9 million tourists that visit Oahu annually, The Shops on Kalakaua will appeal to international travelers looking for international luxury brands in Waikiki.

Kyo-ya has appointed Cushman and Wakefield as the exclusive retail-leasing agent for The Shops on Kalakaua. Kazuko Morgan will lead that effort.


More Project Spotlights

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

Polls

Are you hiring seasonal employees this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
News

Target cuts outlook; discloses wider data breach

BY Dan Berthiaume

Minneapolis — Target Corp. on Friday cuts its profit forecast on the heels of disappointing fourth quarter same-store sales. The retailer also disclosed that its previously announced data breach involved many more people was much wider than it initially thought.

Target said that it expects same-store sales will fall 2.5%, from estimates of no change previously. And as part of its ongoing investigation into the data breach, Target said it learned that the names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses for up to 70 million individuals also had been stolen. The company said those 70 million people were separate from the approximately 40 million credit and debit card accounts previously reported as compromised, though there was some overlap. Target stressed that the newly disclosed information was not a new breach but was uncovered as part of its continuing investigation.

“I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this,” stated Gregg Steinhafel, Target chairman, president and CEO. “I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team.”

Target said it will offer one year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection to all U.S. customers.

The company said its sales were stronger than expected prior to the December 19, 2013 disclosure of the data breach. Once the news broke, things headed south quickly and the company said is saw “meaningfully weaker” than expected sales, even though it instituted a 10% across the board discount for customers who shopped its stores the final weekend before Christmas.

Target said it is likely to incur a charge whose size it isn’t yet able to estimate because it doesn’t know how much it will have to spend on a range of data-breach related costs. According to the company, the costs may include liabilities to payment card networks for reimbursements of credit card fraud and card reissuance costs, liabilities related to REDcard fraud and card re-issuance, liabilities from civil litigation, governmental investigations and enforcement proceedings, expenses for legal, investigative and consulting fees, and incremental expenses and capital investments for remediation activities.

“In light of the recent data breach, our top priority is taking care of our guests and helping them feel confident in shopping at Target,” said Target CFO John Mulligan. “At the same time, we remain keenly focused on driving profitable top-line growth and investing our resources to deliver superior financial results over time. While we are disappointed in our 2013 performance, we continue to manage our business with great discipline and leverage our expense optimization efforts to reinvest in multichannel initiatives that generate long-term value for our shareholders.”

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

Polls

Are you hiring seasonal employees this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
News

Troubling times at Target, data breach situation worsens

BY CSA STAFF

The nightmare continued for Target on Friday as worse than expected fourth quarter same store sales prompted the company to slash its profit forecast while it made troubling new disclosures about the theft of information involving 70 million customers.

The company said it now expects to report a fourth quarter comp decline of 2.5%, well below an earlier forecast of flat comps, while adjusted earnings per share are now projected in a range of $1.20 to $1.30 compared to an earlier forecast of $1.50 to $1.60. And if that weren’t bad enough, a huge cloud of uncertainty now hangs over the company’s future GAAP, or generally accepted accounting principle, results which it said are likely to include a charge of unknown proportions in the fourth quarter or future reporting periods.

In addition to these major downward revisions, the company made another troubling disclosure. As part of its ongoing investigation into the initial data breach involving credit and debit card information on 40 million customers, Target said it learned that the names, mailing addresses, phone numbers or email addresses for up to 70 million individuals also had been stolen.

“I know that it is frustrating for our guests to learn that this information was taken and we are truly sorry they are having to endure this,” said Gregg Steinhafel, Target chairman, president and CEO. “I also want our guests to know that understanding and sharing the facts related to this incident is important to me and the entire Target team.”

The company said the theft was not a new breach, but was uncovered as part of its ongoing investigation and indicated much of the data was partial in nature. Target said in cases where it has an email address it would attempt to contact affected customers with information about how to avoid scams and provide a year of free credit monitoring and identity theft protection.

Were it not for the data breach, Target appeared to be enjoying a solid holiday season. The company said its sales were stronger than expected prior to the December 19, 2013 disclosure of the data breach. Once the news broke, things headed south quickly and the company said is saw “meaningfully weaker” than expected sales, even though it instituted a 10% across the board discount for customers who shopped its stores the final weekend before Christmas.

Beyond the lost sales, reduced profitability and erosion of trust among loyal customers, Target said it is likely to incur a charge whose size it isn’t yet able to estimate because it doesn’t know how much it will have to spend on a range of data-breach related costs. According to the company, the costs may include liabilities to payment card networks for reimbursements of credit card fraud and card reissuance costs, liabilities related to REDcard fraud and card re-issuance, liabilities from civil litigation, governmental investigations and enforcement proceedings, expenses for legal, investigative and consulting fees, and incremental expenses and capital investments for remediation activities.

“In light of the recent data breach, our top priority is taking care of our guests and helping them feel confident in shopping at Target,” said Target CFO John Mulligan. “At the same time, we remain keenly focused on driving profitable top-line growth and investing our resources to deliver superior financial results over time. While we are disappointed in our 2013 performance, we continue to manage our business with great discipline and leverage our expense optimization efforts to reinvest in multichannel initiatives that generate long-term value for our shareholders.”

keyboard_arrow_downCOMMENTS

Leave a Reply

No comments found

TRENDING STORIES

Polls

Are you hiring seasonal employees this year?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...