REI plans fall 2014 opening in Knoxville
Seattle — REI announced plans to open a store in Knoxville, Tenn., in fall 2014.
The 23,500-sq.-ft. store, at Papermill Plaza, will include a bike shop that provides expert assembly and repair services, and a community space to host outdoor-related classes, presentations and events.
“As an outdoor retailer, REI is committed to inspiring and educating people to lead active lifestyles,” said Gail Kirkland, REI retail director for the South district. “Our expertise, programming and products will enhance anyone’s trips to explore outdoor places, like Great Smoky Mountains National Park.”
Walgreens shuffles Daily Living execs
Deerfield Park, Ill. – Walgreens is shaking up its Daily Living organization by shuffling the roster of key marketing and merchandising executives. These promotions and appointments, effective Oct. 1, accompany the appointment of Alex Gourlay, chief executive of Alliance Boots Health and Beauty Division, as Walgreens executive VP, president of customer experience and daily living.
Reporting to Walgreens president and CEO Greg Wasson, Gourlay will lead the enhanced Walgreens Daily Living organization overseeing U.S. merchandising, marketing, customer insights, customer experience and daily living products and promotions.
Today’s announcement includes a number of promotions and expansion of leadership roles of Walgreens Daily Living and Merchandising executives:
- Bryan Pugh becomes corporate VP, U.S. merchandising program development & execution.
- Moe Alkemade becomes group VP, global sourcing.
- Shannon Curtin is promoted to group VP and general merchandise manager, beauty.
- Robert Tompkins is promoted to group VP and general merchandise manager, health and wellness.
- Jim Jensen becomes divisional VP and general merchandise manager, seasonal and general merchandise.
- Beth Stiller is promoted to group VP, category planning, formats & innovation.
- Linda Severin, formerly of Kroger, where she led the redevelopment of its private brand portfolio, joins Walgreens as divisional VP, private brands.
Hollister launches new online product with Keds
New Albany, Ohio — Hollister Co. is partnering with Keds to release an exclusive line that features signature Hollister patterns on Keds sneakers. Beginning Aug. 15, the exclusive Hollister + Keds sneakers will be available only at HollisterCo.com, but customers can view a display inside Hollister stores to see the new patterns.
"Flip-flops are currently the only footwear we sell in Hollister, so this partnership with Keds is a great opportunity for our brand," says Gillian Galner, group VP brand merchandising for Hollister parent Abercrombie & Fitch Co. "We’re really excited because Keds and Hollister are a natural fit. Both brands have a youthful, passionate fan base and Hollister’s Southern California inspired clothes look great styled with Keds sneakers."