Target’s first round of stores in Canada receives LEED certification
MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Target announced that its first 24 store locations in Ontario (Canada) have been awarded LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) certification. As previously announced, the discounter is seeking LEED certification for all 124 stores scheduled to open in Canada this year.
Target is obtaining LEED certification through the U.S. Green Building Council’s LEED Volume Program, which streamlines the certification process for multiple buildings of a similar type in both Canada and the U.S. In order to obtain certification, Target stores will undergo various rounds of audits throughout 2013, which must meet stringent criteria across five LEED categories including: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
“As part of Target’s long-term commitment to invest in the health and environmental sustainability of our communities, we’re proud to announce our first Canadian stores are LEED certified,” said Tony Fisher, president, Target Canada. “More than $10 million is being invested into each new location to ensure our stores deliver the Target brand shopping experience, and this includes a commitment to sustainability and design plans that conserve energy, water and waste.”
Kite Realty announces new leases at six centers
Indianapolis — Kite Realty Group has announced new leases at six shopping centers:
- Sport Clips has leased 1,030 sq. ft. at Boulevard Crossing in Kokomo, Ind.
- Next Level Nutrition has taken 1,000 sq. ft. at Cool Creek Commons in Carmel, Ind.
- Saladworks is moving into a 2,700-sq.-ft. space at Pine Ridge Crossing in Naples, Fla.
- Orange Theory Fitness is going into a 3,515-sq.-ft. space at Bayport Commons in Oldsmar, Fla.
- Tacos & Tequila Cantina has leased 2,940 sq. ft. at Kings Lake Square in Naples, Fla.
- Darling Diva’s Boutique has taken 1,200 sq. ft. at Kedron Village in Peachtree City, Ga.
The Opus Group breaks ground on Glen Ellyn, Ill., center
Chicago — The Opus Group has begun construction of a 31,175-sq.-ft. center in Glen Ellyn, Ill., near Chicago. A 20,300-sq.-ft. The Fresh Market will anchor the project.
The site, a vacated car dealership, will include patio seating and 186 parking spaces.
The center is 75% leased. In-line tenants include Great Clips and the first Tide Dry Cleaners in the Chicago area.
Serving the Glen Ellyn and North Wheaton communities, the center is slated to open in late 2013.