Report: Online returns are a big problem
Retailers wondering how much of an issue e-commerce returns are may not like the answer.
According to a new infographic from returns management software provider TrueShip, E-commerce returns are both prevalent and frequently the fault of the retailer.
TrueShip data shows that about one-third of all products purchased online are returned by consumers. Of these returns, almost one-quarter (23%) are due to the wrong item being shipped. Another 22% of e-commerce returns results from a product looking and appearing different when it arrives than it did online.
A further 22% of e-commerce returns are due to a damaged item being received. This means in total, 67% of all returned online purchases are the fault of the retailer and not the customer.
Other notable figures include:
- 79% of consumers want free return shipping offered at time of purchase.
- 80% of customers are loyal to e-commerce retailers with free and easy return policies.
- 55% of consumers want little or no restocking fees for online returns.
- 81% of consumers want easy online returns.
- 92% of consumers will shop again at an online store with easy returns.
- 82% of consumers will not shop again at an online store with difficult returns
See the full infographic below.
No comments found