Nordstrom debuts service-focused store with no inventory
As retailers consider how to best use their physical spaces in a digital world, Nordstrom is going "local," debuting a small-format retail concept that offers all sorts of personal services, but has no dedicated inventory.
The department store giant will unveil Nordstrom Local on Oct. 3, in West Hollywood, Calif. With a 3,000-sq.-ft. footprint, the new format is much smaller than an average 140,000-sq.ft. Nordstrom. It will offer such services as on-site tailoring, manicures, buy-online-pick-up in store, and easy returns. It will even boast a beverage bar.
In addition, customers will be able to consult with “personal stylists,” making an appointment online, over the phone or in person to take advantage of the free service. Along with giving styling tips, the associates can transfer requested merchandise from Nordstrom stores (or its website) to Nordstrom Local for shoppers.The rooms surround a central meeting space where customers can sit and chat with a stylist.
"As the retail landscape continues to transform at an unprecedented pace, the one thing we know that remains constant is that customers continue to value great service, speed and convenience," said Shea Jensen, Nordstrom senior VP of customer experience who led the Nordstrom Local initiative. "We know there are more and more demands on a customer's time and we wanted to offer our best services in a convenient location to meet their shopping needs. Finding new ways to engage with customers on their terms is more important to us now than ever."
The full list of services available at Nordstrom Local includes:
• Personal stylists;
• Alterations, with on-site tailors available;
• Manicure services;
• Same-day delivery for completed alterations or purchases, with items ordered by 2 p.m. delivered directly to a customer's home on the same day;
• Buy online, pick-up in store, with items ordered before 2 p.m. available for pick-up on the same day;
• Curbside pickup for items that are altered or for buy online, pick-up in-store orders;
• Customers can meet a Trunk Club Stylist, or pick up and/or return a trunk. On-site tailors will help customers select the right fabrics or create a Trunk Club Custom garment that suits their needs; and
• Refreshments, with a full-beverage menu that includes beer, wine, juices and coffee.
In addition, Nordstrom Local will debut "Style Boards,” is a new tool that allows salespeople and personal stylists to create digital boards filled with personalized fashion recommendations, which customers can view on their phone and purchase directly through Nordstrom.com. Customers can get the advice of a salesperson or personal stylist by having a conversation with them through the app.
Nordstrom Local is located at 8401 Melrose Place, on the corner of Melrose Place and Melrose.