Weis Markets reduces its environmental impact
Weis Markets’ ongoing efforts to reduce its carbon footprint and eco-impact include a variety of measures that range from increased energy efficiencies to reduced truck fuel fleet consumption.
The supermarket company’s 2018 Sustainability Report: Rooted in Success, Growing Our Future, which details its sustainability progress. In 2018, Weis achieved its 10-year 20% emission reduction milestone despite a 2.6% emission increase due to an increased store count, expanded variety of refrigerated items and the rollout of self-checkouts to additional stores. The company continues to install energy conservation and emission reduction features in these stores.
Weis Markets’ key sustainability achievements in 2018 include:
• Being recognized by the EPA’s GreenChill program, which encourages reducing refrigerant usage to address environmental impacts on the ozone layer and climate. In 2018, the company’s Carlisle Street store in Hanover, Pennsylvania, was honored as the first store in GreenChill history to achieve 10 consecutive certifications. Weiss’ store in Randolph, New Jersey, was honored as the company’s first-ever platinum certified facility for its transcritical CO2 system;
• Converting 34 stores from fluorescent to LED lighting, reducing electricity consumption by 300,000 kWh annually per store;
• Diverting 39,341 tons of waste from landfills;
• Working with National Gypsum Company, a local building products manufacturer, to recycle 28,180 tons of cardboard; and
• Increasing food donations to more than 860 tons through the company’s expanding partnership with Feeding America. The donations are a key component of its commitment as a U.S. Food Loss & Waste 2030 Champion.
“Our sustainability program continues to make steady progress, focusing on five key areas: reducing our climate impact; the green design and improvement of our stores, facilities, and logistics; protecting our resources; working with local farmers and food processors; and being socially responsible,” said Weis Markets chairman and CEO Jonathan Weis, chairman and CEO, Weiss Markets, which operates 200 stores in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Virginia and West Virginia.
No comments found