C-store chain expands mobile payment options
Cumberland Farms’ revamped consumer app enables payment via prepaid account and offers several mobile subscription features.
The coffee, convenience and gas retailer, a fixture in New England and central Florida, is launching the latest version of the Cumberland Farms app. The new app provides customers with two ways to make mobile payments – the existing SmartPay Check-Link program, which links to a checking or Netspend debit account; and a prepaid account (minimum $25 load) linked to a credit or debit card.
The SmartPay option saves users 10 cents per gallon every day, while the prepaid account saves users 10 cents per gallon for their first 30 days of enrollment. The Cumberland Farms app is free to download via the Apple App Store or Google Play, and offers a number of features beyond mobile payment. These include:
• Coffee “Cup-Scription” – For $25 per month, customers are entitled to up to two cups of hot or iced coffee every day. In addition to coffee, hot chocolate, hot tea, regular cappuccino and new mocha frozen cold brew are included. App users’ SmartPay or prepaid accounts will automatically be charged with the $25 monthly fee.
• Gallon rewards: Customers receive a free coffee, chilled beverage, 0.5-liter bottle of water, or slice of cheese or pepperoni pizza for every 60 gallons of gas purchased with the app.
• Flash sales: Members can earn extra cents off per gallon, as well as other savings throughout the year.
• Birthday treat: Customers receive a free birthday surprise.
• Clubs: In addition to the breakfast sandwich and pizza clubs, the app now includes a Chill Zone and lunch sandwich club, which allows customers to earn free menu items for every 10th item purchased.
“We’re excited to introduce the new Cumberland Farms app that offers gas savings, two mobile payment options, as well as rewards and many other benefits,” said Gwen Forman, senior VP of marketing at Cumberland Farms. “Our innovative Coffee Cup-Scription program offers both value and convenience and is sure to be a game changer.”